And How to Avoid Them!
Selling your home is an exciting time. You've made the decision to move to a property that's more suited to your current needs. Keeping the process as stress-free as possible means avoiding mistakes (where-ever you can!). Here are 5 common mistakes sellers make and how to avoid them.
1) Unrealistic pricing. It’s important to put your home on the market with a realistic price attached. Overpriced homes might not appear in buyers’ searches and could end up having to be reduced later to secure a sale. Research from Zoopla shows sellers that put their home on the market for more than it’s worth may have to wait an extra two months to sell.
2) Putting off hiring a solicitor. The conveyancer’s job involves drawing up contracts and transferring cash, so you might not think you need one from the start. However, it’s a good idea to sort out a solicitor or conveyancer as soon as you put your home on the market, to avoid any delays.
3) Delaying your mortgage application. Before you put your home on the market, you should make sure you can genuinely afford to buy a new one. If the new property is more expensive, you should check how much you can borrow, and which lender could offer the best deal.
4) Failing to spruce up your property. Your property should look its best for pictures as well as for later valuations and viewings. At the very least, make sure your home is clean, tidy, and free of unnecessary clutter. This will ensure the property is a blank canvas for whoever comes to view it. You may also want to consider minor home improvements.
5) Hiding major property flaws. If you think your property has major issues that could put buyers off, like a short lease or a structural defect, there’s no point trying to hide it. Make sure your solicitor or conveyancer is also aware of any issues that could crop up. If a buyer only finds out about problems later on, it could scupper your house sale late in the process.
So, now you know what NOT to do, what are you waiting for? Contact us today for a free valuation of your home. Let’s get the ball rolling!
Connect with us
View by date
Few things are as exciting as heading out to see your favourite band or singer Top class musical entertainment is coming to the area very soon, so get these dates in your diary so you do not miss out. That pre-gig feeling o...Read more...